Before you read another word, remember that the below is information gathered from a variety of surveys from all over the country. No matter what the trend(s) may indicate, you must, must, must adhere to your kitchen dreams, preferred styles and colors. Grey may be the hottest design motif since sliced bread, but if you love green, go for it! Like we say around our house, it’s your nickel: spend it in a way that pleases you.
With that in mind, the National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) expects to see the following overall kitchen trends this year:
- Contemporary-styled kitchens have overtaken traditional to become the second most popular North American kitchen design. In the mid-Atlantic however, traditional and transitional styles remain strongest.
- White and gray painted cabinets dominate kitchen color schemes and show no signs of slowing down, especially gray. Blue painted and high gloss cabinets are emerging. For overall color schemes, blue as well as black are emerging.
- Two-toned kitchens are gaining in popularity. Also, mixing it up: using a variety of materials and metals across surfaces and as accents.
- While wood cabinets dominate kitchen designs, metal – currently a small segment of the cabinet market — appears to be emerging.
- Furniture-look pieces, rollouts and pullouts and under cabinet lighting (LED) are among the most popular kitchen cabinet features. Use of crown molding is declining (because it’s not really contemporary). Incorporating rustic and reclaimed woods was frequently mentioned in the surveys, as was the use of interior barn and pocket doors.
- Quartz is the most popular kitchen countertop material, and trending up. Granite, the second most popular countertop material, is trending down. What you choose is a matter of taste and budget.
- Induction cooktops and convection ovens are trending higher, and microwave drawers are outpacing freestanding or built-in microwaves. Steam ovens still represent a small segment of the market, but are also trending higher.
- Use of technology in the kitchen is increasing. About one third of NKBA professionals included wiring and pathways for future tech integration. Also trending upwards: more Internet connected appliances and charging/docking stations.
- Two-toned colored kitchens are on the rise, but white and gray painted cabinets dominate kitchen color schemes, as well as blue and black toned cabinets. High gloss finishes are gaining popularity concurrent with the move to contemporary.
Remember: this is what consumers have been doing lately. We’re here to create your individual space. Let’s talk.